Summer 2024 Update Expected in March
Summer 2024 Information
Our barn is expected to be under construction through Summer 2024. We are still working out the details for this upcoming summer and will update families in March. In the meantime, please explore our other camp options!
Before registering for camp, please review our policies and procedures. We will ask you to sign off on these policies BEFORE registering your camper for camp. Most families prefer reading the policies before registering to ensure they have a thorough understanding of our operating procedures. These policies are from Summer 2023 and are subject to change.
Carpool runs from 8:45 am – 9:00 am every morning and from 3:15 pm – 3:30 pm every afternoon. Our carpool hours are firm, and if you arrive any time after 9:00 am or 3:30 pm, you will need to head to the camp office for a late drop off/pick up.
The best way to contact us is by emailing [email protected] or by calling 703-556-8234. Our camp office is open from 9 am – 3:30 pm every weekday, and we will do our best to get back to you in a timely manner. For equestrian-specific questions, please contact Malinda Grice (Director of Riding Workshop).
At the start of each day, all workshop participants should arrive dressed in our required riding attire. Participants may change into shorts and sneakers after morning lessons.
- Must be ASTM F-1163-04a/SEI Certified (any local tack shop will know what this means!)
- Bicycle helmets do not meet this requirement.
- Riding Workshop staff cannot supply helmets and participants may not borrow helmets from other participants.
- Long pants
- T-Shirt that covers shoulders (no tank tops allowed)
- Boots with one-inch heel, preferably paddock boots.
- Riders may bring sneakers to change into after riding; however, please know that these shoes will get dirty!
Sneakers and shorts are not permitted during the daily riding lesson. Anyone who arrives without the required riding attire or protective headgear will not be permitted to participate in the daily riding lesson. There will be no exceptions to the riding attire rules. Helmets and boots can be purchased locally at Dover Saddlery in Chantilly, VA or can be purchased at a wide range of online shops (including Amazon).
- Refillable water bottle
- Swimsuit and towel on swimming days (TBD)
Campers should NOT bring the following items:
- Flip flops, crocs, or other open toe shoes.
- Cell phones and other electronics such as video games, tablets, smart watches, laptops, etc.**
- Water guns, trading cards, and other toys
We have not yet set the menu for Summer 2023. Summer 2023’s menu will be very similar to Summer 2022’s menu. We will publish the menu for this summer when we get closer to the start of camp. We can accommodate most dietary restrictions. If you have a specific question, feel free to ask!
Sample Menu 1
Grilled chicken sandwich
Grilled tofu sandwich
Macaroni & Cheese
Tortilla Chips & Salsa
Carrot Sticks & Ranch
|Celery Sticks||Broccoli Florets|
Sample Menu 2
|Always Available||Turkey SandwichCheese Sandwich||Turkey SandwichCheese Sandwich||Turkey SandwichCheese Sandwich||Turkey SandwichCheese Sandwich||Turkey SandwichCheese Sandwich|
|Entree||Hot Dogs||Beef Tacos||Turkey Club Sandwich||Pasta Bar||Chicken Tenders|
|Vegetarian Entree||Smart Dogs||Veggie Tacos||Portobello & Cheese Sandwich||Chick'n Tenders|
|Mexican Rice||Chips||Breadsticks||Tortilla Chips|
|Veggies||Carrot Sticks & Hummus||Shredded Lettuce & Cheese||Garden Vegetables||Marinated Cucumber & Tomatoes||Guacamole|
|Dessert||Pineapple||Cookies||Fresh Berries||Cantaloupe||Frozen Treat|
Detailed instructions about the carpool process will be emailed to you before the start of summer, and camp staff will be available every day to help the carpool process along. Drop off is between 8:45 am - 9:00 am and pick up is from 3:15 pm – 3:30 pm. If you arrive any time after the stated drop off or pick up time, you will have to go to the camp office to do a late drop off/pick up. Every family will be provided with a carpool placard. To help carpool be as smooth and fast as possible, please bring this every day with your camper’s name written on it.
We offer Extended Day care for all our day campers from 3:00 pm – 5:30 pm every day for $200/week or $50/day. Caregivers may pick their camper up any time within that timeframe. Extended Day programming includes a snack, games, crafts, and one extra swim block per week. A late fee of $25/camper is incurred if caregivers fail to pick up their camper by 5:30 pm. Late fees increase on a sliding scale based on time of pick up.
Summer at Madeira values the health and safety of all campers and employees. As The Madeira School continues to navigate the impacts of COVID-19, we continue to update our protocols and practices. The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) has updated COVID guidance for schools for the 2022-23 academic year. Additionally:
- All campers and employees are required to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations
- Any individual who is experiencing COVID-like symptoms should take a rapid antigen test
- If positive, the person should follow the VDH guidance.
- If negative, it is recommended they follow VDH guidance and Madeira requests that the person wear a mask when around other until feeling well.
- Masks are optional; however, the School reserves the right to require masks at any point throughout the year and/or for specific events.
- If a camper has COVID, they should stay home and follow VDH guidance.
- If a camper is COVID-negative AND is not feeling well enough to come to camp (vomiting, fever), they should stay home.
- If a camper is COVID-negative, has mild symptoms, but is feeling well enough to attend camp, the camper may do so and wear a well-fitting mask.
Camper Vaccination Exemptions
- Following the policies of The Madeira School all campers must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination to participate in camp programs. Requests for exemption must be submitted in writing to the health team ([email protected]) by June 1st . Refunds are not issued due to vaccination status and exemptions are considered on a case-by-case basis. Staff must provide proof of full vaccination for employment.
- For returning families: If a vaccination exemption request was submitted due to a medical reason, a new exemption or proof of vaccination must be submitted. If you submitted a religious exemption request for Summer 2022, a new exemption does not need to be submitted.
- For new families: If your family has a religious or medical exemption, you can submit your notarized certificate of religious exemption (form CRE-1) or signed page 3 of the VA school entrance health for to our health team ([email protected]) for review.
Refunds on Program Fees
- All per-camper, per-program deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Refunds for any camp program fees paid beyond the deposit(s) may only be issued when written notice of cancellation and a request for a refund is received at least four-weeks prior to the start date of the camp session in question.
- Refund requests that come less than four-weeks prior to the start of the camp session for any reason, will not be honored.
- Refund requests for extended day services must be submitted in writing at least one week prior to the start of the camp session in question.
- Administrative fees are non-refundable.
Cancellations Due to Medical or Emergency Circumstances
- Refunds may be granted for medical or emergency circumstances only. A written notice of cancellation with an explanation of the medical or emergency circumstances must be provided for a refund request to be considered.
- Additional documentation may be requested by The Madeira School. Any refunds, full or partial, will be at the discretion of The Madeira School after reviewing the request.
- High ropes and water activities may be cancelled when weather conditions are unstable (including dangerously high heat). Alternative activities will be provided. Refunds are not given when activities are cancelled due to inclement weather.
- If any camp or session is cancelled by The Madeira School, for any reason, a full refund will be issued on all camp program fees including the non-refundable deposit. The camp administrative fee is non-refundable.
- If a program is cancelled for any reason (including, but not limited to, insufficient enrollment and staffing issues), every effort will be made to place campers in a similar program. Programs are any choice within a camp (theme choice, age group, etc.).
Feel free to reach out to us anytime at [email protected] or give us a call (703-556-8234) during our business hours (9 am – 3:30 pm on weekdays).
If you have a health-related question, please contact the Health Center at [email protected] or 703-556-8244.
For equestrian-specific questions, please contact Jessica Leonardi (Director of Riding Workshop).