Madeira students represent 38 different countries by citizenship or residency, making ours a culturally diverse community. International students (those who are not US citizens) make up 13% of our student body.
The application process is the same for both international and domestic students. However, students who do not speak English as a first language must also submit TOEFL scores (Madeira School code 8029) or the Duolingo English Test.
As of January 1, 2023, students attending school in China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan must schedule their interview through Vericant which will complete Madeira's interview requirement.
Additional Requirements for International Students at Madeira
- Stateside Guardian: Madeira requires all international students to have a guardian living in the United States who can be contacted in case of an emergency and who can collect the student from campus within 48 hours of the school requesting the student leave campus.
- Health Insurance: All international students are required to have some form of international health insurance. International students have the option to purchase insurance through Madeira.
- I-20: Madeira issues I-20s after an accepted student has enrolled and paid the registration fee.
- International Student Fee: All international students (non-US Citizens) are required to pay an annual International Student Fee in addition to the boarding tuition. For the 2023-24 school year, the fee is $2,000.
- International Student English Program: International students who are non-native English speakers are enrolled in Madeira’s International Student English program unless exempted by the Academic Dean.