Congratulations to all the families of seniors! Senior year is an exciting (and busy) time. The following is a guideline of what to expect as a Madeira senior and parent. We will add information throughout the year.
- Senior Dinner: During Parents' Weekend in October, seniors enjoy a sit-down dinner with their parents.
- Senior Gallop: End of the school year. Senior riding students gallop around the Oval.
- Affirmation: The evening before graduation.
What Seniors Wear and When
- Opening Convocation: Seniors usually wear a white dress/outfit. Four-year Madeira seniors can add something red to their outfits.
- 100 Days: On the 100th day left of school seniors wear a white outfit, usually casual. Four-year Madeira seniors can add something red to their outfits.
- Affirmation: Girls wear black attire for Affirmation the night before graduation.
- Graduation: Graduates wear white full-length formal attire with limited adornment that is suitable for this culminating academic occasion. Graduation is formal in its rituals, modest in that it is a school gathering, and designed and planned around the reality that it is a day-time event. White shoes of any style are required, and it is practical to have hems about two inches above the ground. Of course, appropriate undergarments are required. When selecting attire, remember that white is not ecru, nor eggshell, nor cream. A piece of white copy paper can offer a helpful guide. Other helpful links can be found here.
A number of Madeira alumnae have donated graduation dresses for those students who would like to borrow an heirloom rather than purchase a dress.
The Class of ’22 will be photographed together for perhaps the last time on graduation day. These photographs will last in posterity and are part of your class’s legacy. Your classmates thank you in advance for wearing white formal attire with limited adornment that is suitable for this culminating academic occasion. All members of the Class of ’22 must upload a picture of their attire to a Forms document, which will be distributed later this fall, by April 15. A small group of the adult graduation committee will review each photo to ensure that each student’s attire aligns with the expectations for the class.