Distance Learning will continue through the end of the school year. See our Coronavirus page for updates.

Off to Peru!

May 25, 2014
by Marina Pearce '15
The welcoming Pisac Inn

We left Reagan National Airport, after a quick lunch, at 3:00 p.m. and arrived in Miami at 5:10 p.m. After trying to find a lounge we found out that our flight to Lima, Peru left from terminal J, the absolute farthest terminal from where we had landed. Once we walked, for what felt like miles, we got to the terminal and started our six hour layover.

We spent our time in spas, bookstores, facetiming and texting, finding snacks, and of course more than one Starbucks run. We had dinner together, laughing about our minimal Spanish abilities and we started a new trip quote book. After most of the country had gone to sleep, our passports were checked again and we boarded at 12:15 a.m. The plane left at 1:00 a.m. and by that time most of us were already asleep. With sleepy eyes and A LOT of turbulence we landed in Lima, Peru at 5:45 a.m. Because of the ridiculously early hour we whipped through baggage claim, customs, and rechecked our bags in enough time from breakfast. After coffee, water, doughnuts, cinnamon buns, and more water, we went through security at 7:00 a.m. We spent time in our terminal struggling with Spanish and buying water, “con gas” whether we knew it or not. Taking off at 8:00 a.m., no one could sleep because of the gorgeous snowcapped mountains, pools of blue green water, and tiny villages settled between ridges.

We landed at 9:30 a.m. greeted by the manager of the hotel and the driver of our fun van/bus. Ms. Morgan claims we were all fantastic and the traveling couldn´t have been easier. We stopped for a bit in Cusco, Peru to exchange money, stretch our legs, and enjoy a fun band that was playing in the town square. Then we were off to Pisac Inn.

On the way we stopped again to enjoy a llama and alpaca farm. We probably stayed more than they thought we would due to our extreme excitement to feeding the llamas and talking to the alpacas. It was another 20 minutes to the town which is a fun combination of culture and markets. The Pisac Inn is situated in the middle of the square, so just steps outside and you are greeted by vendors selling everything you could imagine. After an amazing lunch of vegetables, pumpkin soup, and quinoa we all went to nap. Around 5:00 p.m., we visited the local clinic and looked around the town. We bought sweaters, rings, bracelets, fun yarn dolls, ect.

That evening we gathered for dinner, which began with our “five minutes of Spanish” (which is Ms. Smith’s way of telling us all that we need to practice our language a lot more). We had toasted popcorn kernels , fresh vegetables, trout with mashed potatoes, and vanilla ice cream with fruit that, as hard as we tried, we didn´t understand the name of. We finished with an overview of the week and card games and much needed sleep. More to come!